What we do
We are a small local charity in Jersey.
Our mission is to support people who are severely affected by mental illness or lacking capacity. My Voice employs a team of specialist mental health advocates who work across Jersey- specialist national training and skills enable our advocates to work with individuals with the most complex needs. Since 2006 professional independent mental health advocacy has supported around 400 people per year in Jersey from between 14-104 years of age.
The people we work with
Most of our clients will have a recent professional diagnosis of;
- Bipolar affective Disorder
- Personality Disorder
- We help people not to be so frightened and ensure they don’t feel alone
- Our clients understand that they have legal and human rights and that we will help
- protect these rights
- Our clients understand why they are detained and how this can be challenged
- Our clients feel listened to and are able to participate more in decision making
- about their care or treatment
- Our clients feel respected and retain their sense of dignity and value
What is our vision?
We believe that Individuals with a mental illness or disorder should be recognised as equal citizens, who participate in society and control their own lives.
Royal College of Psychiatrists mental health information – rcpsych.ac.uk/mental-health